Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Advising for Prospective Graduate Students:

If you are interested in applying to our program, consider attending an upcoming Master of Architecture Information Session & Tour   

These hour and a half long sessions are led by our graduate program adviser and will introduce participants to the academic and special opportunities in our school.  The session will also include a tour of our graduate design studios.

Outside of these information sessions, 30 minute advising appointments are available on request. Please email our Outreach & Admissions Coordinator to schedule.

Drop-in requests for tours cannot be accommodated. 

Now that I am accepted to the program, how do I register for classes?

The following links provide helpful information about registration:

U501: Graduate School Orientation
UW Student Guide

How can I find out about financial aid and tuition?

For a complete breakdown of student tuition, fees, and charges please visit the Office of Planning & Budgeting/Graduation Tuition Dashboard. Tuition is updated by the UW in July for the coming academic year.

For an estimated Graduate Student Budget, which includes tuition/fees, books/supplies, room/board, personal costs, transportation and health insurance on the UW Office of Student Financial Aid website. The graduate tuition displayed on this page is an estimate. Graduation tuition varies by program. Refer to the Graduate Tuition Dashboard for more accurate tuition information by program.

I am applying to the 3 year M.Arch program.  How can I build a portfolio that is competitive when I do not have an architecture background?

The purpose of the portfolio is to help reviewers determine your potential to perform successfully in a design studio based program. Your portfolio should demonstrate your creative abilities, in particular, the ability to translate ideas into two dimensional (drawing, painting, sketching, photography) or three dimensional (models, furniture, wood/metalwork, etc) form.

Students without any art/design background are encouraged to take courses to help build their portfolio. Inquire locally about available classes in the subjects referenced.

Many architecture schools offer an introduction to design course in the summer for students who are contemplating architectural studies.

See Portfolio tips on M Arch Admissions page.

Is it possible to work full time and enter the 3 year M.Arch program?

The first year of the 3 year M.Arch program is comprehensive and intense. This year is considered the preparatory year and incorporates coursework that prepare students from non-architecture backgrounds to be “up to speed“ with students holding Bachelor’s degrees in Architecture. Part-time work during this first year is possible but challenging and depends on individual time management skills and course schedules.

Does the department offer any financial aid for international students?

See our Funding page.

What are the required GRE scores?

The GRE test is not required for any of our Master’s programs. GRE tests submitted to our university will not be considered as part of the admissions review.

What are the math and physics requirements?

The minimum math requirement is college-level algebra. College-level physics is not required, but is helpful. The required structures courses involve algebraic computations (no calculus).

When can I come in for a tour of the department and facilities?

Prospective graduate students interested in a tour should try to schedule their visit to coincide with the monthly Graduate Program Information Session & Tours.  Please check the calendar for dates. RSVP is required as space is limited.

Prospective student advising appointments can be made by contacting our Outreach & Admissions Coordinator.

Non-Matriculated Registration:

Contact either the undergraduate or graduate academic advisers for instructions on obtaining approval signatures on Non-Matriculated or Graduate Non-Matriculated forms.

Summer quarter enrollment is open to non-matriculated students. For more information please visit here.