Skip to content




In the United States, most registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure.  The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit professional degree programs in architecture offered by institutions with U.S. regional accreditation, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted an eight-year term, an eight-year term with conditions, or a two-year term of continuing accreditation, or a three-year term of initial accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established education standards.

Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may require a non-accredited undergraduate degree in architecture for admission. However, the non-accredited degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.

The University of Washington Department of Architecture offers the following NAAB-accredited degree programs:

M. Arch. (undergraduate degree with architecture major + 90 graduate quarter credits)

M. Arch. (undergraduate degree with non-architecture major + 135 graduate quarter credits)

Next accreditation visit for all programs: 2030



UW Career Center
UW Handshake
AIA Seattle Job Board
AIA Career Center
Other job boards (compiled by NCARB)

Career Resources:

UW Career Center website is FULL of great resources that help one prepare for an interview (videos and upcoming events) and job search tips:

Here are job search tips from AIAS & Archinect 

NCARB ARE Pass Rates by School

NCARB video on how to become a licensed architect

The MArch degree leads to licensure. For further information refer to the following table.

  • The  EDI video on building intercultural competence provides an introduction to the developmental model that underpins the CBE approach to EDI.
    We are in the process of updating the CBE EDI web content and hope to have that up soon; so please keep an eye out for that as there will be new resources for students, faculty and staff.
  • UW President Ana Mari Cauce launched a Race and Equity Initiative in Spring 2015, which asks that students, faculty, staff and university leadership take responsibility for addressing our own biases and improving our university culture.
  • The Office of the Associate Dean for Diversity and Student Affairs within the Graduate School supports diversity and inclusiveness at the University of Washington in multiple and innovative ways: from support of students and departments to programming, advocacy, and fostering conversation and dialogue.
  • The Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) is a central part of the Graduate School’s commitment to expanding graduate education to everyone, with educational and social events throughout the year that help underrepresented minority graduate students connect with faculty, alumni, and other students.
  • The Intellectual House is a longhouse-style facility on the UW Seattle campus. It provides a multi-service learning and gathering space for Native American students, faculty and staff, as well as others from various cultures and communities to come together in a welcoming environment to share knowledge.
  • The University of Washington Q Center is a primarily student-run resource center dedicated to serving students, faculty, staff, and alumni of all sexual and gender orientation, identities, and expressions.
  • The University of Washington Veterans Education Benefits office serves military veterans and their dependents during their time as students at the UW.
  • The Disability Resources for Students (DRS) unit is dedicated to ensuring access and inclusion for all students with disabilities on the Seattle campus.
  • To further explore diversity at the University of Washington, please see:

To begin the financial aid process at the University of Washington, please visit the UW Office of Student Financial Aid website.

For priority consideration, your FAFSA must be received by the federal application processor by the University’s deadline of January 15 to be considered  for grants and work-study also.  A FAFSA can be submitted after the priority deadline but aid might be limited to loans only.  You must file a FAFSA every year and applications will be available online for the following year. Key dates & deadlines.

For more information on financial aid, contact

Office of Student Financial Aid
1st Floor, Schmitz Hall
University of Washington
1410 NE Campus Pkwy
Seattle WA 98195
(206) 543-6101


The University of Washington is a public institution; therefore no state or federal financial assistance is available for international students.

However international students are welcome to apply for our yearly department scholarships and on-campus jobs. International students are eligible to work off-campus after completing one year of  of study via Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

The UW International Student Services website provides helpful information to international students interested in attending the University of Washington.

Scholarships for Currently Enrolled Students: The Department of Architecture announces a call for applications to our annual scholarships and fellowships in late March. Application deadline is in early April.  Currently enrolled undergraduate and graduate students in the Department of Architecture who will be enrolled the following year are eligible to apply. A majority of these awards are partially need-based, so applicants must complete a FAFSA or the Financial Need Assessment Form for Non-Citizen/Permanent Residents.

Scholarships for the Architecture in Rome Program:  Rome scholarships are announced to the selected AIR students after the rosters are finalized by the program directors.

Scholarships for graduating & recent graduates of the BA. Arch & BA. Architectural Design program: The Department of Architecture’s Floyd A. Naramore Architectural Memorial Fund provides a limited number of fellowships to graduating students and recent graduates (within 10 years after graduation) of the College of Built Environments who wish to continue their studies in architecture at any university east of the Mississippi River. First selection priority goes to candidates accepted to study at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and second priority goes to candidates accepted to any university in the North Atlantic states.

Recruitment scholarships for incoming graduate students: there is not a separate application to complete to be eligible, all admitted applicants are automatically considered and awardees are notified shortly after receiving their offer letter.

External Scholarships List

The Department of Architecture employs students for a range of positions within the school. Positions range from teaching and research assistants for various professors and faculty to curating exhibits and assisting with the coordination of the department lecture series. Preference for hourly employment in the Department of Architecture is given to students who are Work-Study eligible.  Graduate salary rates start at $21.00/hour.   In a Work-Study program, the employer pays 40 percent of the student’s wages; the rest is subsidized by federal or state funds. International students are ineligible for Work-Study.

To qualify for Work-Study jobs you must demonstrate financial need and have a Work-Study award as part of your overall financial aid award. Contact the UW Work Study Office to learn more about eligibility for work-study jobs.

Available Work-Study positions across campus at the UW are posted on the UW Work Study website. Please keep in mind that Work Study is only one type of job on campus. There are non-work study positions on-campus and other part-time employment jobs off-campus too.

View Department of Architecture student jobs postings here (requires UW NetID login).  Students  should submit a cover letter and résumé or questions to Shanna Sukol.


If you are Work-Study eligible and have been offered a Work-Study position but have never worked for the UW before, please contact Shanna Sukol.

  • Thesis Instructions and link to Master’s Supervisor Committee Approval (MSCA) Form: this form is in addition to the requirements from the department. Students must complete both forms.
  • Graduate School Resources: UW Graduate School has developed professional development resources to help graduate students and post-doctoral students create their own strategy and plans so they will be successful during – and beyond – their graduate educations. These resources help students explore the rich opportunities at the UW and tap into the expertise and guidance of faculty throughout campus.
  • Odegaard Writing & Research Center: Schedule your appointment for a full range of writing and research consultations with our friendly tutors and librarians.



To change your course description in the UW Course Catalog, please submit a Course Change Application, with additional documents as needed, to the Chair for approval. Depending on how much of the course needs to be changed, additional approval may be required from the College Curriculum Committee and CBE Dean. To access the application form, go to: and scroll down to the Change Course Proposal link.

Spring quarter 2024 faculty meeting schedule: April 3, April 10, April 17, April 24, May 1, May 15, May 22, June 5.

May 15 Faculty Meeting Agenda:

  • 12:00-12:05 – Approval of May 1, 2024 and May 6, 2024 (closed meeting) meeting minutes
  • 12:05-12:10 – Announcements, reminders, and updates
  • 12:10-12:15 – Chair updates
  • 12:15-1:20 – Discussion and vote on graduate and undergraduate student awards

All meetings will take place at noon in Gould 208J and via Zoom at


This information is provided to assist Visiting Scholars and hosting faculty members with the Visiting Scholars Program in the Department of Architecture. Please contact the department if there are additional questions.